Notes Regarding Fijian Taxi Drivers
Posted on: 20 July 2007 /
The driver from Ba, who took me from Ba to Navala and back, was by far my favorite (see video).
VIDEO (Quicktime, 600K):Â Taxi from Navala
Some notes and observations related to Fijian cab drivers:
- If you offer to buy them a Coke, they’ll take you up on it.
- As far as I could tell, every single one of them is Indian-Fijian.
- According to the drivers, the reason for this is because if a Fijian-Fijian every put together enough money to own a car, he’d take it out once, get drunk, wrap it around a tree, and then no longer have the car.
- Fiji cab drivers often see themselves more as salesmen-concierges and will offer to take you to their house for all-you-can-drink kava. For a price.
- In fact, all (well, some) Fiji cab drivers are part-time pimps — or at least are in some pimp’s MLM down-line. They have no compunctions about providing alone-traveling Anglos access to “a good time”.