Bloody Kansas, Move Day 2 (Holbrook to Dodge City)
Posted on: 4 May 2010 /
Categories: road trips
That’s right, Kansas. More importantly:
- I’ve lost my sunflower seed inner-cheek callous. There will be a few more days of pain as the tissues rebuild.
- Got on the road before 6 this morning.
- Covered 697 miles today.
- If you want to know what a place looks like *right before* it turns into a ghost town, I recommend taking a drive down Main Street in Tucumcari, N.M.
- When you put a lot of cattle together in one place, it doesn’t smell very good.
- One day I will write a critique of American drivers. It will be entitled Brave Enough to Tailgate, Too Scared to Pass. There will be at least one chapter dedicated to Arizona.
- Mileage: 15, 19 (!). The 15 was driving primarily uphill and the 19 primarily downhill. But still. My truck seems to appreciate being given a real truck job to do. It handles the trailer like a champ.
- Bought gas in Gallup and Santa Rosa.
- Having now been to Dodge City, I realize I may not have given Deadwood enough credit.
- I’m surprised by how much of Mexico currently resides in southwestern Kansas.
Behold, the once-wild West!:
I’m also impressed that New Mexico’s rest area authority is so interested in voice-of-customer data:
I didn’t vote. It looked like there were germs on the buttons.