Maui Red Sand Beach
Dennis had told me about this secret beach in Hana and stuff. It’s pretty. Not sure anyone would ever swim at it what with the rocks and all. There’s a journey vs. destination story here as well.
The beach is sort of on private property or requires you to cross through private property or something. There’s a hotel there that has signs posted that declaim any responsibility for you killing yourself while trying to get there. Not without reason.
A few photos I guess:
The beach itself:
And I got about 50 more photos that are some variation on that. The tree is in all of them. Seriously, like *all* of them.
On the hike:
- It’s not very far — maybe 3/4 mile from the place where you park.
- But: the trail is pretty dodgy. There’s one part where the footing is poor (sandy and loose pebbles), and the trail is narrow (ca. 12 inches) and slanting off the edge of a cliff (20-foot drop). It’s about a 10-foot stretch, but that’s about all it takes.
- I was wearing flip-flops, which did not grant me goat-like powers of ground adhesion.
- Ended up gashing the side of my foot.
- Alternately, there’s a trail spur that bypasses this section. It takes you off the cliff and down to the beach, then goes back up onto the ledge above. Would’ve been smart. Would have.
- And then coming back up, we came up one trail too early. This too-early trail goes to the cemetery and is steeper than you want it to be. With loose, sandy pebbles.
Cemetery is like this:
For some reason all the stones had Japanese writing on them. On the interesting scale, I’m guessing the story behind that (unknown to me) rates a 3.
PS, This was a purely Google-driven headline. Thanks, search algorithms: you’ve destroyed blog post headlines forever.