The American Pigeon Museum Is Real
The museum plays it all pretty straight.
Things I learned:
- Pigeon racing is a thing and requires specialized time-keeping equipment.
- Pigeons basically won the Franco-Prussian war for France (well — except that Prussia won that war).
- The pigeons that are good at their jobs get names (such as Paddy, Gustav, and the one that won the Purple Heart). The others just get numbers.
- There are breeds of pigeon that are categorized as “fancy”. Many of them look kind of weird.
- Pigeons aren’t very good at making nests.
- If you’re kind of a marginal visual artist, you could probably get your work hung in a museum if you focus on a very narrow subject matter.
Admission’s free, allow 90 minutes if you want to see everything. It’s located in OKC’s museum district (near the Cowboy Museum, Softball Museum, zoo, etc.). It *does* end up feeling a little like a skit from Portlandia.