Went Thursday. It was cool. Sometimes I get the impression that the whole point of Kauai is to see how many different ways you can look at the Na Pali coast. Me this trip: 3. Ultralight flying on Thursday, drive/viewpoint/hike today, boat on Monday. Do I win? No. I could’ve done helicopter, kayak, and hike-in. Maybe next time.
But the ultralight thing was, as stated, cool. Pics, then pros and cons.
Hard bank left and, yes, these are cliffs at Na Pali (Kalalau Valley).
This is me flapping my arms to maintain airspeed. BTW, the instructor (because this was a lesson rather than a tour) is the one who took the photos. His name was “Jim”, which I assume was a cover name.
Â Kickin’ up spray and scaring the turtles.
My turn at the tiller.
- Pretty dang exhilerating.
- Best way to view Na Pali I’ve experienced *so far*.
- Somewhat bird-like.
- Perfect weather for it — it was raining everywhere on the island except where our little wing+engine was at.
- That tight left turn around the Kalalau Valley — I should have requested we do that part again.
- I sort of learned how to fly one of these to a very, very small extent.
- Cost $215 for a one-hour ride.
- Jim was a swell guy and all, but it’s kind of a snug fit.
- I was pretty much terrified for the first 20 minutes and I don’t like having to face up to being as big a wuss as I am for anything more than 7-8 minutes at any given stretch.