800 Square Feet and a Cloud of Dust
I’m done with the drum sander. Could take it back this afternoon, but I paid for it through tomorrow morning at 10:46, so doggone it, I’m keeping it until tomorrow morning at 10:46. Plus I’m lazy and my back is sore.
I think it’s more sore from manhandling the washing machine by myself than from the sanding. I’ll do an A/B test next chance I get.
Before and after:
You can still see some darker areas if you know to look there, but I think if you don’t know, you won’t notice. You’ll just think the wood has character. And imho, now that the crappy hunny-colored stain is gone, the wood is kind of pretty. It has some actual character (not just “character”) and some cool reddish color to it in places. I mean, yeah, I’m just going to cover it back up with a different shade of stain than before, but it’s sort of nice to know that the wood was decent-looking to start with.
A couple dust photos:
I’d say it looks like a “golden shower”, but I think that might imply something else.
If it weren’t for the dust, you might not even know an angel was hovering outside.
Bullet points with relevant (?) thoughts:
- I’d been told to expect the dust storm to end all dust storms. It wasn’t that bad.
- For instance, sanding drywall mud in a basement home theater is much, much worse.
- I used a respirator — the kind for painting. It helped keep sawdust out of my nose and mouth.
- The dust never spontaneously combusted. Sadly.
- All the DIY websites make floor sanding sound difficult. As mentioned, all the DIY websites are stupid.
- Actually the websites are fine, it’s the people posting on them that are holding down the bottom of the bell curve.
- I used three different papers: 36 grit (x2), 60 grit (x3), and 100 grit (x2). The 60 grit created the most dust.
- In order to get those urine stains “out”, I probably took off around a quarter-inch of wood.
- The house no longer smells like cat urine and tile glue. It now smells like sawdust.
It looks like they’re having a lovers’ quarrel. The shop vac is the guy and he’s rolling his eyes, trying to think of somewhere he can go so he doesn’t have to deal with this crap. (OTOH, for a short fat guy, he did pretty well for himself.)
It looks like I’ve wallpapered my kitchen walls with ancient papyri.
Gonna hold off till Monday before getting the edger to finish the job. I’m also gonna try to fade out those stains a little more by bathing them in peroxide until I’m ready to start staining. I hear it might work. Tomorrow? Maybe I’ll find me a clothes dryer or something. Could probably stand to take all my doors down and vents off. Should also finally get rid of the sink cabinet in the kitchen. Plus there’s glue left to chisel and tiles left to scrape. And there are some gaps in the floor that need filling. Haven’t started the bathroom yet at all. Just got a new universal transponder I should install on the garage door opener. Need two new external doors and a new storm door, that could keep me busy. Have to replace all the light switches, not to mention map the circuits on the electrical panel. Gutters ought to be cleaned out. Kitchen floor needs to be pulled up. Still have to mud/spackle in the kitchen wall gouges.
Or maybe just play RDR all day. Mal sehen.