I Hiked the Narrows Again, October 2017 Version
Posted on: 19 December 2017 /
TBH, the experience isn’t trite or cliche for having done it two years in a row now. OTOH, blogging about it kind of is (2016 Narrows hike, and that one previous that was pre-blog) .
So what made this one different?
- 2017 is a different year than 2016, and I am much wizened.
- It’s colder in October. Especially on the second day, after the swim. (Note to self: take clothes off prior to the swim next time.)
- Fall color!
- Mice at the campground.
- Non-relative as co-hiker.
- Overcrowded shuttle full of trust-fund kids all the way to the trailhead.
- Still kind of too many people for the last four miles, despite it being a Monday.
- I don’t remember what my pack weighed, but it was not very much (19 lbs.?).
- My favorite compact camera got destroyed on this trip. In another $400, will replace. Maybe.
Most of these photos are mine, but one is Layton’s, used with eventual permission and editing. Overall, his photos were way better. Perhaps I shouldn’t bemoan my camera as much as my lack of vision and mindfulness.
(King of the trust-funders, front-left.)
And my favorite, now-dead camera’s last-ever photo:
Goal for next time: Don’t take a camera, live in the moment, maybe write a haiku at the end. Also, be prepared for mice.